About the Department
The Chicago Center for HIV Elimination (CCHE), is situated within the Biological Sciences Division at the University of Chicago Medicine. CCHE aims to eliminate all new HIV transmission events by 2041. The University of Chicago’s position on the South Side makes it uniquely situated to test, treat, and prevent new HIV infections in a highly affected population. The South Side communities and majority Black suburbs connected to them to the South represents the largest contiguous Black population in the United States. By using our integrated HIV transmission elimination approaches, we are beginning to make new infections in these communities less frequent.
The Qualitative Data Analyst will be responsible for collecting and analyzing cutting-edge qualitative datasets, and reporting results from their analyses. The candidate will assist with the development of abstracts, posters, and presentations for local and national conferences, manuscripts, and other research outputs. The position is under the direct supervision of Dr. Anna Hotton and will be working directly with Drs. Russell Brewer, Darnell Motley, Jade Pagkas-Bather and Mai Pho. The candidate will provide qualitative data management and analysis for multiple CDC and NIH funded projects at CCHE, including cohort studies, longitudinal studies, and randomized controlled trials of HIV prevention interventions.
- Inform the design of research and program evaluation projects that use qualitative methods.
- Responsible for the creation of study materials, the management of fieldwork, and the collection and analysis of qualitative data, as well as report writing.
- Provide guidance to program staff on project and portfolio-level evaluations that focus on qualitative methods.
- Work with CCHE investigators to identify appropriate analytical methods to address qualitative research hypotheses and conduct qualitative analyses, accordingly.
- Document data management and analysis procedures.
- Prepare tables and figures for manuscripts, abstracts, and other scientific publications.
- Contribute to the writing of qualitative methods sections for manuscripts and other publications, with opportunities for authorship available.
- Present results of qualitative analyses to researchers, colleagues, and funders, including formal presentations at conferences.
- Participate in regular meetings with CCHE research staff and data analysts to discuss proposed analyses, share analytic approaches, and discuss data and/or methodological challenges as they arise.
- Depend on expertise and experience, the candidate may provide critical methodological evaluation of newly proposed research designs and suggest design improvements and qualitative analysis plans.
- Maintains technical and administrative support for a research project.
- Analyzes and maintains data and/or specimens. Conducts literature reviews. Assists with preparation of reports, manuscripts and other documents.
- Performs other related work as needed.