Pilot awards are intended for key preliminary studies in HIV-related basic, clinical, or behavioral research that will enable new NIH grant submissions and to stimulate cross-institutional and/or cross-disciplinary collaborations. A proposal must be for a new project or idea that is distinct from any currently funded project. Teams that include faculty from Northwestern University and The University of Chicago, and across disciplines, are encouraged.
- Principal Investigator (PI) must be a Third Coast CFAR faculty member
- PI on the application must be a new investigator (never PI on an R01-equivalent NIH grant) or new to HIV/AIDS (never PI on R01-equivalent NIH grant for HIV/AIDS)
- Awards can be to an individual investigator, a mentor-mentee pair, or an inter-disciplinary team
- One-year award with possibility of renewal
- Up to $50,000 per year
- Bi-annual submission cycle
- RFA and application instructions are posted here
- Abbreviated NIH-style application is submitted online
- Required letter of intent survey due September 4, 2018
- Full application due October 1, 2018.