An Intensive Public Health Training Institute Fostering Future HIV Community Leaders
Public Health Boot Camp is an intensive one-week educational program provided by the AIDS Foundation of Chicago and the Institute of Public Health and Medicine (IPHAM), Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.
The educational training program is designed to enhance HIV/AIDS organizational leaders’ professional knowledge of public health concepts. Participants will learn and apply public health concepts to actual HIV/AIDS programmatic activities. Participants will work with local and national experts in public health, including Ending the HIV Epidemic Scientific Working Group (EHE SWG) co-director Gregory Phillips II. Other guest speakers will join the faculty in leading guest lectures and discussions.
The Boot Camp is divided into eight areas:
- Foundational Public Health Principles
- Evidence-Based Approaches to Public Health
- Public Health, Health Care Systems and Systems Thinking
- Program Planning, Management and Evaluation
- Public Health Policy and Advocacy
- Guiding Principles of Community Engagement
- Communication in Public Health
- Leadership and Interprofessional Practice in Public Health
Application Process Timeline
- Application period opens on Wednesday, March 11
- Applications are due no later than Tuesday April 14
- Telephone Interview Day: Thursday, May 7. Applications will be reviewed. Those that meet minimum qualifications will be scored by a review committee. Finalists will be interviewed via phone.
- Selected applicants will be notified in writing by Monday, May 11
- Selected applicants must confirm their placement in the program no later than Monday, May 18 with payment of a non-refundable fee of $300 by Friday, June 5 — the full cost to participants for the week-long program.
- Confirmed applicants will receive detailed instructions by the week of June 15 and other materials to review ahead of the Boot Camp.
- Confirmed applicants will check into Hampton Inn Hotel on Sunday, July 26 at 1 p.m. to begin the program.
- The program will conclude on the evening of Thursday, July 30 with a recognition reception and presentation of a joint Northwestern and AFC certificate. The event will conclude by 8 p.m.
View the full application process and program announcements on AFC’s website.